Following the school's Guiding Statements, we aim for our students to flourish through being happy, healthy and capable of managing their own well-being.
Our bespoke Well-Being Framework promotes a whole-school approach to fostering positive physical and mental health. The framework sets out five key areas of well-being that we aspire to for all of our students.
- Self Acceptance
- An Active and Balanced Lifestyle
- An Ability to Self-regulate
- A Sense of Belonging
- A Capacity for Growth and Resilience
At BSM we adopt the Positive Education approach. Positive Psychology engages in the scientific exploration of human wellness and optimal functioning. The field is founded on the belief that people want to lead meaningful and fulfilling lives, to cultivate what is best within themselves, and to contribute meaningfully to the lives of others.
During their time at school, our students learn the skills and knowledge involved with Positive Education during dedicated Positive Education classes. Key concepts are also explored in other subjects.
For example, in well-being lessons, students may:
- explore a range of relationship-building skills and become familiar with the technique of actively and constructively responding to others’ good news
- learn to tune in to their self-talk with the goal of developing helpful and realistic thinking patterns
- explore the responsibility and challenge of self-regulating our emotions
- be introduced to resilience skills which they can put into practice
- learn to understand and appreciate the benefits of expressing gratitude
- explore the importance of self-motivation
- demonstrate curiosity and interest through research, planning and reflection recognise and appreciate the unique strengths within themselves and those around them
- explore the relationship between service of others and having a meaningful life.